A spend free weekend is self explanatory; it’s a weekend where you spend nothing. I recommend you have at least 1 – 2 per month to live more frugally. It’s a lot of fun, is great for the budget and can get really creative.
You can tailor this however you want but the rules I usually live by are:
- No spending ‘extra’ money (you can use the gas / phone in the house but you can’t spend more than you usually would).
- Eat only the food you have in the house (this can lead to some frankenstein meals!).
- Walk as much as possible (if impossible then only travel the cheapest way possible such as a £2 bus).
- Must have at least 1 day over the weekend out the house (to keep it challenging and interesting).
- Only spend in an emergency (such as the electric about to cut off or a bill to pay).
10 Spend Free Activity Ideas
- Check out what’s on in your local town for free. I’m guilty of overlooking and searching for the big cities I live near but plenty is on my doorstep.
- Go on a walking tour and photograph what inspires you.
- Host a movie night with friends. You’ve never too big to get into your PJ’s and watch a horror film.
- Read a book you’ve been wanting to for a while. Visit the library and rent more if you’ve got nothing to read
- Start a creative hobby you’ve had on hold for a while. All those scrapbooks unfilled and those yarns not knitted should come out on a spend-free weekend.
- Visit a free zoo or museum. There are lots of zoo’s and museums out there for free so go visit your nearest for a free experience.
- Host a board game night. Tell everyone to bring a dish and a few beers and keep it #spendfree
- Cook something you’ve always wanted to with the ingredients in your cupboard. Bonus points if you bulk cook for the week.
- Have a cull of your clothes, under the bed and in the shed to find what you can flip, donate or bin. I might be in the minority but I love a good cull.
- Play some sports with friends or have a picnic in the local park you never go to.
Leave a comment below and follow more money and lifestyle articles here.